Kastélyhotel Sasvár Resort
The Károlyi Castle was designed by Miklós Ybl and it was built from 1876 to 1882. György Károlyi, the owner of the castle, devoted the building to his wife Karolin Zichy, who lived there until 1903. She named the castle Sasvár. Following György Károlyi, his grandson, Mihály Károlyi inherited the manor. His wife, Katinka Andrássy (the Red Countess), was fond of the provincial style of living. According to legends, the countess found her privacy in the castle whenever she had conflicts with her husband. For that very reason they called the castle ’’Peevish’’.
In the past decade the building became a private property again. After the renovation of the castle and the impessive park around it in 1998, the resort can be visited by travellers with high standards.
The guests of the castle can choose from three different wings to stay at (Renaissance, Rendez-vous and Romantique) that are connected by undeground passages.